Wednesday 18 May 2011

Work in Progress - Floating dreams

Art for me is like baking artisan bread. You decide you want to cook a loaf, so you begin with the starter. You mix it up and let it sit for a while - maybe hours, maybe days - letting the yeast grow and develop its flavours. Next, you knead in the rest of the dough - sometimes quick, sometimes slow - and let it rise till it grows some more. Then you shape it - perhaps round, perhaps oval - and let it rest again. Finally, you slash and bake it, adjusting the heat and checking the temperature, until you have the final thing... and a beautifully smelling house. (But not always yummy tasting bread!).

Just like bread, I can't rush art. My original works begin with one idea and change their form multiple times. Drawings are less mutable than paintings, but even then, those changes are sometimes drastic. With different phases new ideas and ingredients get added, deflating the original but adding something new - maybe good, maybe bad. Sometimes I forget where I was heading with the original thing, and sometimes I don't even have a plan. I let it develop its own flavour, grow on its own, and who knows what will happen.

So with that in mind, I thought I'd share a work in progress that I am currently mulling over.


It started off with the idea of dreaming, capturing what it feels like when you let your mind float - consciously or sub-consciously. And somehow the concept of floating seems to have surfaced - perhaps in water, perhaps amongst sea weeds... But I am quite stuck with it now, I just don't know what to do next. The bottom of the picture is severely lacking - maybe I should just define the neck and shoulders?

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I likey! Green and yellow seems very different to your usual colour scheme.

    I'm not sure what to do with the bottom part - but I agree it needs something. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought I'd go for something other than red for a change :P. The color I chose was a bit of pot luck though, it was dark and I couldn't see what I was picking, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this - and i kind of like the open space, although your eyes are really drawn to it, so maybe it does need something. i'm curious - how much did you have planned when you started? i really like the idea of letting things evolve...

    ReplyDelete